- Woman: I'm smart
- Patriarchy: Well you're probably ugly then
- Woman: I'm creative
- Patriarchy: You mean unattractive right?
- Woman: I have all these incredible accomplishments
- Patriarchy: Yeah but look how ugly you looked doing them
- Woman: I have value
- Patriarchy: Not if you're ugly lol
- Woman: I'm conventionally-attractive & posted selfies on my blog
- Patriarchy: I'm so sick of these empty-headed chicks only caring about their looks. Just because you are attractive and get attention from men doesn't mean you are special or deserve respect. Why don't you read a book or do something productive with your life you dumb slut
Stop telling women that we should find ourselves beautiful and that we should love ourselves when you are standing right there, judging us on how our knees look in short skirts and how prominent our boobs are in a sweater and how much makeup we are or are not wearing.
Instead of us working harder on “love your body” and “find your inner beauty”, the rest of the world should be working harder on “stop telling women their bodies are a shameful place to live but that if they’re strong enough, they will learn to embrace that shame.”
This is my body. It’s not “beautiful”. I don’t “love it”. I don’t have to. I don’t have to have any strong feelings about my body. And whatever feelings I do have are not somehow invalid if they’re not glowing reviews.— Elyse Mofo, “Don’t Tell Me to Love My Body” (via nightrevelations)